Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Resurrection Artist Opening Reception & Poetry Reading February 23, Tavares, Florida

Please join me in lovely Tavares, Florida to view my mixed media and photo collage pieces, "Resurrection," from my Personal Mythology Series at the Opening Artist’s Reception with Featured Artists Kate Esplen, Kace Montgomery, Sydney Solis, & David Tear.

A 44-piece collection of visual beauty! I will also be reading the poem, "Strangers," as part of the collection. 

Exhibited until May 29, 2018
Stroll by to meet the artists, listen to live music, and enjoy light, tasty hors d'oeuvres.

Resurrection 
Friday, February 23, 2018
5:30 p – 7:30 p

Tavares City Hall located at 201 E. Main Street

February 2018

Sydney Solis Artist Statement

All of the pieces in this show contain something that has been pulled from the trash.  I have given them new life as works of art. Out of death comes life. A resurrection. For all my life I have collected ephemera, paper, the old or worn, thrown away holding history until images and textures could be salvaged and recast into something else as expressive art telling its own story.

The Rusty Warren album in “Sinsational” and frame was pulled from the trash back of Smitty’s Thrift store in DeLand, Florida, as were the frames for “Wonderful Florida” and “Voice of a Star.” They live on!

“Stetson Girls” is made from original antique silver gelatin prints from a Stetson University scrapbook that the West Volusia Historical Society was throwing away, but was passed on to a neighbor, who passed it on to me. An anonymous young woman’s college life story is immortalized.

De la Longevite et de la Brievite de la vie” is made from a discarded book as well.

Dozens of antique cards that a beloved teacher named Miss Olive Gardener of DeLand had received were, too, saved from the trash by my neighbor. Love and happy feelings never die in “Miss Olive Gardener’s Cards.”
“Paper Doll VI” and “Paper Doll V” contain items my late mother bought at flea markets or pulled from the trash herself, and I gleaned from her packed home upon her passing away. There we find the source of all my irresistible artistic itches to create. Out of death comes life.

Sydney Solis
Orlando, Florida



No comments:

Post a Comment